Summer is all about being outdoors and soaking up the sun. But there’s no reason you can’t bring the warmth and lightness of summer into your home. Here are nine ways to do just that.
1. Get a clear view. One of the easiest ways to brighten a room is by brightening your windows. Get them sparkling inside and out using your favorite glass cleaner and cloth, or hire a professional to do the dirty work. Finish off the windows by replacing heavy shutters and blinds with sheer, filmy, light-colored curtains that diffuse the summer sun.
2. Toss those old pillow covers. Now’s the perfect time to trade out heavy, cozy toss pillows for light ones. Go with white and other fresh summer colors that complement the décor in your living room for an airy, vibrant feel.
3. Lighten up surfaces. If your main living spaces feature lots of dark wood or heavy tablecloths, lighten things up. You could replace heavy furniture in your main living space with lighter-colored pieces. Or reupholster with light-colored fabrics. A simpler, more affordable solution is to use white or light-colored decorations. Think tablecloths, candles, jars holding seashells and rocks…anything that conjures summer.
4. Reflect on your rooms. There’s nothing wrong with cozy rooms, but in the summer, you want to open up your spaces. An easy way to do that is by hanging mirrors that reflect daylight and create an airier, open feel.
5. Bring summer into the bedroom. Summer is a terrific time to breathe new life into bedrooms. Store all those heavy winter coverings for lightweight, light-colored ones. And replace your well-worn bed pillows with fresh ones that bring new comfort to the room.
6. Incorporate the smells of summer. You can easily bring summer into your home by cutting flowers from the garden and displaying them in the living room, kitchen, and even bathrooms. Use existing vases or get creative with whimsical displays in pitchers and oversized drinking glasses. Another way to introduce the smells of summer is with citrus-scented soaps and candles.
7. Whiten your walls. Put a fresh coat of white paint on dark walls. In just a few hours, you can transform a dark space into an airy one. If the thought of painting an entire room feels overwhelming, paint a single wall opposite your windows. This provides a welcome accent and reflects incoming light.
8. Declutter. Lighten up literally by purging rooms of unused furniture that clog up the flow. While you’re at it, look for ways to recycle or donate the pieces so they continue serving a purpose, even as you lighten your load.
9. Freshen your floors. To round out your airier rooms and put a bounce in your step, lay down summer-colored rugs. With so many patterns and colors to choose from, you’re certain to find the perfect complement to your fresh new design.
Now that you’ve created the perfect cool spaces for your summer, it’s time to sit back and enjoy!