4 Factors to Consider When Choosing a Natural Fiber Rug
Natural rugs look fabulous in magazines, especially with the latest interior design trends of earth tones and tribal style. But what about real life with kids and pets and messy partners? No worries, natural fiber area rugs are far more durable than standard area rugs.
Need a guide to natural fiber rugs? Ask these questions as a starting point to select the best for your space.
1. Will this rug stand up to traffic?
Sisal is a strong choice when it comes to covering your high-traffic areas. It’s made from one of the toughest of natural fibers, the sisalana agave plant. Expect a sisal rug to look brand new, with proper care, for at least a decade - even in the busiest areas of your home.
Keep in mind that sisal may not be the best choice for stairs as it can become slippery with excessive wear. Other highly durable choices are jute and hemp. Jute was once used on ships before steel cables were invented, so it isn’t going to fall apart under the weight of a busy household. While hemp may look fragile, it’s surprisingly long-lasting and even gets stronger with wear. This makes it ideal for stairs.
2. Is this rug stain-resistant?
Seagrass is the perfect choice for foot traffic spaces where there’s the potential for lots of spills and messes, like kitchens. Because it’s grown in saltwater marshes, it’s water resistant and won’t stain as easily as other natural fiber rugs. Plus, seagrass fibers are easier on bare feet.
3. Can this rug be used outdoors?
While they’re perfect for screened or covered porches, natural fibers are not optimal for 100% outdoor use. However, we offer 49 sisal-rug lookalikes in the gamut of patterns and colors. These are made from polypropylene that can face the elements with confidence. They won’t fade, mold, or mildew. They’re remarkably easy to clean – just hose them down. If you still want to use a natural fiber, jute or hemp may be the longest-lasting if they’re not exposed to moisture.
4. How versatile is it?
- For abundant choices that will fashionably take you from bedroom to family room to living room to play room, consider sisal wool rugs, which are mostly 60% wool and 40% sisal for a delightfully soft feel. Here are some of our favorite styles.
- Lana wool is defined by its striking basket-weave design and amazing comfort.
- Cabo offers an intricate weave that has a sophisticated feel.
- Chevron’s timeless pattern introduces a distinctive, eye-catching movement.
- Chanelle, which is woven in Belgium, has a unique texture is 75 percent sisal and 25% wool.
For the ultimate in personal style, customize your rug by size, shape, border and more.
We hope this gives you a good starting point to select a natural fiber rug. If you have more questions, please contact us. Our team can help you develop the perfect rug to fit your space and your lifestyle, call us at 1-888-613-1335 or go here to begin creating your ideal floor covering.